General Meeting Minutes for 2016
Lecture Theatre 1, Chemistry Building, University of Bristol 5:00pm, 22 March 2016
In the chair: Prof David Jordan.
Members present: c. 150.
- Apologies for absence received from Sarah Rees, Stuart White, Alexander Stasinski, Mike Todd.
- Minutes of the AGM of BMC 2015, held at University of Cambridge, were approved with no matters arising.
- BMC 2017. This is to be held at the University of Durham, from 3-6 April 2017. Plenary lectures will be given by Eva Bayer-Fluckiger (Lausanne), Kenji Fukaya (Stonybrook), Isabelle Gallagher (Paris 7), Laurent Lafforgue (IHES), George Lusztig (MIT) and Jacob Lurie (Harvard). A public lecture will be given by Noam Elkies (Harvard). Workshop areas will include Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, Number Theory, and Topology. University accommodation has been reserved. The conference dinner will be held on the evening of the 5th April, and will be in the Great Hall of Durham Castle.
- BMC 2018. This is to be held at the University of St Andrews, with the non-standard timing of 11-14 June 2018.
- Invitation for BMC 2019. Dr Jan Grabowski invited the BMC to the University of Lancaster for 2019. This was approved by acclamation. The provisional dates are 8-11 April 2019.
- Election of a representative of the 2015 BMC to serve on the BMC Scientific Committee for the coming year. Post meeting, Prof Richard Sharp (Warwick) was nominated and agreed to serve.
- It was announced that the Young Researchers in Mathematics (YRM) meeting for 2015 would be held at the University of St Andrews from 1-4 August 2016 and that postgraduate students attending the BMC would have their YRM registration fee waived if they registered for YRM.
- Any other business. The Chair of the BMC Scientific Committee proposed a vote of thanks to Lynne Walling, Tim Dokchitser and their Bristol colleagues for their work in the organisation of a very successful BMC. The vote was carried by acclamation.
The meeting closed after 8 minutes.