Incidentally, the Wallingford Screen in the Abbey is due to a 15C William of Wallingford.
Gorhambury, about 2½ miles NW of St. Albans, was the country seat of Francis Bacon (1561-1626). His father built Old Gorhambury House in 1563-1568 and Francis lived here from 1568. He was a student at St. Alban's school. He inherited the old house in 1601, enlarged and rebuilt it and then built a summer house, Verulam House, about a mile away. After his fall from power in 1621, he retired here. A doorway and some walls of Old Gorhambury House survive, but nothing remains of Verulam House. His tomb (or monument) in St. Michael's Church has a figure of him. Some guidebooks say he is buried in the vault underneath. The present Gorhambury House was built by the Earl of Verulam, a collateral descendent, in 1784 and is occupied by the current Earl. It is open and displays various memorabilia. [Crosland]; [Glendinning]; [Eastman]
Lord Grimthorpe, designer of the clock at Parliament (cf under London), restored the west front of the Abbey in the late nineteenth century. His restoration work was not always well received, particularly here and at Lincoln's Inn, and 'to grimthorpe' was used for 'to do a rotten job of restoration' [Espy].
H.T. Flather, the crystallographer who built the "very beautiful set of miniature models of all the fifty-nine (stellations of the icosahedron)" was living in St. Albans when he offered the models to the University of Cambridge and Coxeter came to see them. See Coxeter under Cambridge for more details, or [Coxeter, Du Val, Flather & Petrie].
To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK
|Previous entry||Next entry|
|Gazetteer Index||Main MacTutor index|
An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster
The original site is at THIS LINK