Wallingford, Oxfordshire

Richard of Wallingford (1292?-1336) was born in Wallingford, about 10 miles south-east of Oxford. His father was a blacksmith and Richard learned the practical skills that later enabled him to build instruments. Orphaned in 1303, he was adopted by Prior William of the Benedictine house of Holy Trinity and William sponsored his attendance at Oxford in 1308. See under Oxford and St. Albans, above, for more of his life and work.

To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK