Winchester, Hampshire

Winchester has one of England's oldest schools, founded by William of Wykeham (1324-1404), Bishop of Winchester who also founded New College, Oxford. He is buried in the Chantry Chapel of the Cathedral. [Greenwood (2), pp.164-165 with photo on p.165.]

See THIS LINK

Samuel Morland, G.H. Hardy and W.S. Gosset ("Student") were students here [Sandon]. Hardy was first in the scholarship competition in 1890, but the school treated him so atrociously that he never returned nor attended a reunion. Indeed, he would never eat mutton, which the school served five days per week [Kanigel, pp.112, 120, 124]. C.V. Durell was mathematics master from 1905 until his retirement in the 1940s [Maxwell]. C.H.O'D. (Hugh) Alexander taught mathematics here c1930. Freeman J. Dyson was a student to 1941 [Kanigel, pp.339 & 368]. The puzzle writer, Eric Revell Emmet, was a teacher here.

Wren designed a palace for Charles II at Winchester and construction started in 1683, but was abandoned on the King's death in 1685. The half-finished building was used as a barracks, but burned down in the 1890s. [Summerson, p.118]


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK