General Meeting Minutes for 2008
A General Meeting of the British Mathematical Colloquium was held in the National Science Learning Centre, University of York at 18.00 on Wednesday 26 March, 2008.
- There were apologies for absence from Niels Jacob.
- The minutes of the AGM held on 17 April 2007 in Swansea were approved.
- There were no matters arising.
- A brief, non-financial, report of the 2007 BMC by Niels Jacob was read by Aubrey Truman. (Report attached.)
- Peter Giblin was elected unanimously as the Chair of the BMC Scientific Committee, starting from 1 June 2008. There were no other nominees.
- Hugh Morton (University of Liverpool) was proposed to serve on the BMC Scientific Committee for 1 year, from the end of the AGM until the end of the AGM at Galway in 2009. This was accepted by acclamation.
- Ted Hurley and James Ward reported that the physical resources for BMC 2009 in Galway were in place, including block bookings at two hotels (€55 and €70 per night, bed and breakfast) situated about 2 miles from the university, with a conference bus service. Invitations had been accepted by 4 plenary speakers (David Eisenbud, Ron Graham, Frances Kirwan, Rostislav Grigorchuk), and 6 morning lecturers. Special sessions were being organised in Analysis, and Computational Algebra.
- John Hunton invited the BMC to the University of Leicester in 2011. The invitation was accepted by acclamation.
- Thanks were expressed to the Department of Mathematics, University of Swansea for the organisation of BMC 2007.
Maurice Dodson, one of the York organisers, offered to prepare a document containing practical advice for the benefit of future BMC organisers. This will be presented at the meeting of the BMC Scientific Committee on 24 September 2008.
The dates of BMC 2010 in Edinburgh were confirmed as 6-9 April 2010.
A report of the 2007 Swansea meeting was presented.
Minutes unsigned and undated.