At Compton Castle, Marldon, near Paignton, an armillary sphere was built in the rose garden in 1983 to commemorate the four-hundredth anniversary of the colonisation of Newfoundland, which was led by Sir Humphrey Gilbert, whose family owned the house from 1329 to c1800 and from 1930 to the present [Stanier].
See THIS LINK
To see an Ordnance Survey map click at
An extract from
The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles
created by David Singmaster
The original site is at