Winchester, Hampshire

Winchester has one of England's oldest schools, founded by William of Wykeham (1324-1404), Bishop of Winchester who also founded New College, Oxford. He is buried in the Chantry Chapel of the Cathedral. [Greenwood (2), pp.164-165 with photo on p.165.]

See THIS LINK

Samuel Morland, G.H. Hardy and W.S. Gosset ("Student") were students here [Sandon]. Hardy was first in the scholarship competition in 1890, but the school treated him so atrociously that he never returned nor attended a reunion. Indeed, he would never eat mutton, which the school served five days per week [Kanigel, pp.112, 120, 124]. C.V. Durell was mathematics master from 1905 until his retirement in the 1940s [Maxwell]. C.H.O'D. (Hugh) Alexander taught mathematics here c1930. Freeman J. Dyson was a student to 1941 [Kanigel, pp.339 & 368]. The puzzle writer, Eric Revell Emmet, was a teacher here.

Wren designed a palace for Charles II at Winchester and construction started in 1683, but was abandoned on the King's death in 1685. The half-finished building was used as a barracks, but burned down in the 1890s. [Summerson, p.118]


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK


Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK