References for Mary Newson
- J Green and J LaDuke, Pioneering Women in American Mathematics: The Pre-1940 PhD's (American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 2009).
- P C Kenschaft, Change is Possible: Stories of Women and Minorities in Mathematics (American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 2005).
- K V H Parshall and D E Rowe, The Emergence of the American Mathematical Research Community, 1876-1900: J J Sylvester, Felix Klein, and E H Moore (American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 1994).
- G Filippelli, Mary Frances Winston, Doc Madhattan, Field of Science (8 August 2012).
- J Green and J LaDuke, Women in American Mathematics: The Pre-1940 PhD's, The Mathematical Intelligencer 9 (1) (1987), 11-23.
- Mary Frances Winston Newson: Obituary, Washington Post (6 December 1959).
- M W Newson, Thomas Jefferson and Mathematics, by David Eugene Smith, National Mathematics Magazine 14 (8) (1940), 492.
- K V H Parshall, Anniversary of Mathematics at the University of Chicago, The Mathematical Intelligencer 14 (2) (1992), 39-44.
- B S Whitman, Mary Frances Winston Newson, in Louise Grinstein and Paul Campbell (eds.), Women of Mathematics: A Biobibliographic Sourcebook (Greenwood Press, 1987).
- B S Whitman, Mary Frances Winston Newson: The First American Woman to Receive a Ph.D. in Mathematics from a European University, The Mathematics Teacher 76 (8) (1983), 576-577.
- B S Whitman, An American Woman in Gottingen, The Mathematical Intelligencer 15 (1) (1993), 60-62.